Learn more about procedures and requirements to enroll.

Structure of the course

How many students can participate?
Each university has its maximum number of students it can admit. In most cases, the groups are between 8 and 15 students.
What will the final qualification be?
The student will be registered at the core provider where (s)he will follow the core section, which means that the degree will be delivered by this core provider. The name of the qualification awarded is ‘European Master in Renewable Energy’ in the language of the core provider.
Do you intend to run this Master course every year?
Yes, the EUREC Master is a continuous programme.

Entry Requirements & Application Procedure

What are the qualifications requirements?

The minimum level of admission is a BSc degree of a high standard in an Engineering, Maths or Physics OR equivalent appropriate work experience.

Additionally, the students must prove their ability to follow a postgraduate course in English alone or English plus French or Spanish according to the student’s choice of institutes. Non-native English speaking students must sit for the TOEFL or the IELTS exam and obtain the following grades:

For Oldenburg, Zaragoza and MINES-ParisTech:

  • TOEFL: minimum score of 550 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test) or 80 (internet-based test)
  • IELTS: minimum 6 (Academic version)
  • Cambridge Advanced Exam in English: B minimum
  • Cambridge Proficiency Exam in English: C minimum
  • Comparable proof of English language proficiency (e.g. Bachelor studies in English language)


  • TOEFL: minimum score of 575 (paper-based test), or 90 (internet-based test); or
  • IELTS: 6.5 minimum; or
  • Cambridge Advanced Exam in English: B minimum; or
  • Cambridge Proficiency Exam in English: C minimum.

The students candidates are accepted on a first-come first-served basis; therefore it is recommended to apply as soon as possible, well before the deadline (ideally before April). Applying before January is not possible.

When is the application deadline?

The application deadline for the 2023-2024 session is 15 July 2023 (date of receipt of the application materials).

Oldenburg University: all students must apply before April 15th
Hanze UAS: non-EU students must apply before May 1st

Can a non-European citizen apply to the course?
Yes. The course is open to European and non-European students.
How to apply?
Please refer to the section of the web site ‘how to apply‘.
Is there an application fee?
No, there is no application fee. However, once students register for the course, the first installment of tuition fee validates their enrollment. Should students refrain from taking up their place once they have formally enrolled, this first installment will not be refunded.
Are there any restrictions to be part of the course?
None outside those listed above. There is no age limit.
Are there any necessary documents to present?
Yes. In addition to the application form, applicants must upload a copy of academic (diploma and transcripts) and language qualifications, a CV (resume), two letters of references, a letter of motivation and any additional information in support of your application (information on your work experience is particularly welcome). Please note that your qualifications must be explained clearly, especially if you study in a non-EU country.
Which information should the referees provide?
The referees should provide a letter of reference in English, Spanish or French on the candidate’s academic suitability to study for the European Masters in Renewable Energy. This should include, if possible, details of the results he/she has obtained in degree examinations. If the applicant has not graduated the referee should give a predication of the likely degree outcome. Finally, the referees should include their name, status/title, telephone/email and the name and address of their institution/company. Reference letters must be submitted on the official headed paper of the institution/company and contain their signature. The application is not valid without two letters of reference.
Can I send you my application without my results before July and later, I will send you my results in these courses?
Yes, as long as you provide us with evidence of your qualifications before the date indicated by the University if you are accepted under condition.
When does the Academic Committee decide on the admission of students to the course and on the chosen core and specialisation sections of the course?
Universities regularly assess the received applications. Selected applicants can expect to receive the offer letter from EUREC between February and end of July. All applicants can expect to receive a definite answer by the beginning of September, before the official start of the courses.
May I still change my choice of specialisation once the course has started?
Yes, students will be allowed to change the specialisation by 15th October. This gives the possibility for the student who has not a clear idea to ask the core provider to help better finalize his or her choice. However, changing the specialisation is subject to availability of places at the respective specialisation. If a minimum number is not reached per specialisation, the university can decide not to run a certain specialisation. However, EUREC tries to inform those students who can be affected by such a decision as soon as possible.

Cost of the Course & Sources of Funding

What are the entry fees?

(i) For Academic Year 2023-2024, the course fee is €8.000 for EU students**, and €13.000 for non-EU students.
Non-EU students also have to pay an extra fee directly to Hanze UAS. Please refer to the ‘how to apply’ section for more information

(ii) The fees are payable in three instalments. The first instalment validates the registration and has to be paid by reception of the offer letter, the other instalments should be paid by September 30th and January 31st (of the following year) respectively, i.e. at the beginning of the core and specialisation part of the programme.

Hanze UAS students will pay tuition fee directly to Hanze UAS.

**EU students fee apply to citizens from these countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, the Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

What do these fees cover?
They cover the participation cost of the student to the course. They do not cover living expenses, travel expenses and accommodation.
How to find a sponsor?

Each student is responsible for finding their own funding for studying in the EUREC Master Programme. EUREC does not supply financial aid and cannot provide tuition reductions. Some students have previously applied for scholarships and whenever needed, EUREC is able to provide Proof of Acceptance and similar documents.

These are some scholarships and fellowship programmes that have been obtained by previous students of the EUREC Master Programme.

Global Sustainable Electricity Partnership (formerly e8): gives support to outstanding students that are pursuing advanced studies in sustainable energy development. Applicants must be citizens of low income countries. More information can be found here .

Fundacion Iberdrola (for studies in Spain or in the UK):

NSERC: Canadian citizens may be eligible for a scholarship from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada. More information can be found here.

CBIE: Canadian citizens may be eligible for scholarships through the Canadian Bureau for International Education. More information can be found here.

Ford Foundation Fellowship Program: Students are eligible by being residents or resident nationals of International Fellowships Programme countries or territories; 22 countries across the world, mostly low income countries. The Fellows must hold the intention to serve their communities in the areas of development. More information can be found here.

FONGECIF: Scholarships through FONGECIF are available for citizens and residents of France, and is divided into application regions: Nord/Pas-de-Calais, Ile-de-France , and Bretagne are some examples.

These searching tools can be useful if you have not found what you are looking for in the above list:

Can I apply if I have not secured my funding?
Yes. But you must clearly indicate if you have not yet secured funding.
How much will be the living expenses (food, accommodation, travel,...)?
The living expenses would account for about €15,000 for the whole duration of the course. Part-time student jobs may be available at the participating universities but you should seek that upon your arrival at the university.

Master’s Projects

What scope is there for students to organise their own project?
Students can propose their own project. The project proposal must fulfil the general project requirements (see “project guidelines”). The project proposal must also be approved by the course directors, which may ask for further details.
I am currently employed and may be able to organise a project with my employer. Would this give me an advantage/disadvantage in the application process?
No, it is not a criteria for the selection of a candidate, but it is good for students to know where to do their project.
What do project providers get paid/have to pay to EUREC?
Project providers, being research centres, local authorities or companies do not have to pay anything to EUREC, nor do they receive funding from EUREC.
Do I get paid during the project?
Although the project provider is expected to provide a living allowance to the student, it is left to the discretion of the project provider. The student should discuss this matter directly with the project provider. EUREC advises project hosts to pay an allowance to students.
Who assesses the Project?
The project thesis is assessed by the core provider. The Thesis presentation is assessed by a Jury composed of three professors: one representative from the core university, one representative from the specialisation university, and a third professor chosen amongst EUREC Universities.

Degree Recognition

Are the certificates issued by the universities, partners in the EUREC Master, recognized in other European countries as well as worldwide?
The main principle behind the recognition of qualifications within the European Union is that if an individual has completed a major part of his or her qualification in one EU country it will be recognised in all EU countries. This principle of recognition also applies to EEA countries, (Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway) and Switzerland.
The degree obtained by graduates of the European Master in Renewable Energy at the end of the course is awarded by the respective core university. Degrees awarded by Mines-Paristech, Universidad de Zaragoza, Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg and Hanze UAS are therefore fully recognised as postgraduate university degrees both in the respective countries (France, Spain, Germany and the Netherlands) and in the other Members States of the European Union.
Non European students who successfully complete the European Master in Renewable Energy obtain a degree which is supposed to be recognised by the relevant authorities also in their countries of origin. However, the recognition of an educational qualification depends on the competent authorities at national and regional level outside the EU.
In addition to their diploma from their respective core university, students receive a Certificate of Equivalence from EUREC. This document formally states that the different degrees given by the five core Universities are equivalent in value and contents.